Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stop And Smell The Pine Trees

Busy, busy, busy. Seems everyone nowadays is busier than ever. Constantly running around, shuttling kids here and there, tweeting this, posting that. A distracted life that, if we're not careful, can end up resembling what Shakespeare penned, "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I was almost that selfsame idiot this past weekend during an overnight camp out up American Fork Canyon. Our local Boy Scout troop had decided to go to a favorite campsite appropriately named Butch Cassidy's Hideout. Not because Butch Cassidy ever actually stayed there (to my knowledge), but due to the three-courses-high remains of an ill-fated log cabin. More of a wind break than an actual structure. It is a beautiful locale straight out of an REI catalog, and also where my then 13-year old son broke his elbow while rock climbing. But that is a story for another day.

Friday night we parked, packed our gear up a short 100 yard incline, and set up camp. We ate chili dogs and burnt Jiffy Pop popcorn. The weather was perfect. And except for a slight chill around 4:00 a.m. and the chattering of boys into the wee hours of the night, we had a perfectly blissful time.

Then I became an idiot.

I woke up thinking about all the things I needed to do that Saturday. I thought about freelance projects that were due the next week. I thought about errands and chores and to-dos.

All while rolling up my sleeping bag and stowing my tent. While hauling my gear down the hill to my car—knowing I would need to make two trips and hoping to "get a jump on things" before the others awoke.

I reached the road. And the serene morning quiet, the kind you can only find in the mountains, was shattered by the deafening roar of a jacked-up Ford F-350 Diesel barreling down the canyon. And I thought to myself, dang man what's the hurry?

Then it hit me. I saw it. I was just like the guy in the ridiculous, over-sized truck. Only my roar was inside my head. My deafening thoughts barreling through my synapses.

Instantly my head cleared. I paused and looked up at the stunning rock formations, some still snow-capped, just catching the first glints of morning sunlight. I heard the rushing water of the canyon stream, birds chirping in the trees. I inhaled deeply through my nose and smelled the dew and the pine sap. My mind was no longer busy.

I suddenly had all the time in the world.